Over the last few months we’ve been developing a new dory design. Our goal was to come up with a smaller 2-3 person boat for running upper basin river stretches at all kinds of water levels. Using the DNA of several different boats, an initial design was lofted up.
We then ran this by some other boat builders. Next, the nonsense started. When Brad Dimock and the Fretwater crew sent us back their modifications, they had christened a name, Chubby Bunny, onto the design. This made for a good laugh.
After pondering the design some more, getting more opinions, and making some slight changes, we decided to go for it. Sam, Peter, and Bego all helped with getting it laid up at the shop. It’s a small rotund thing: 13’ 9” in length, 52” at the bottom, and 84” at the oarlocks.
At this point, Bego took a stand and said, “You can’t name a boat design after a mouthful of food! That’s just not right. It should be called just the CHUB.” And so the Chub was born.
We still have lots of work to do, but we’re already thinking we’ll be making a few more of this design soon.
- Nov 6, 2018 Our Aluminum "Chub" Hatchery. Nov 6, 2018
- Aug 11, 2018 New Raft - New Ideas Aug 11, 2018
- Aug 2, 2018 Testing out using foam for the side decking on a raft frame Aug 2, 2018
- Jun 30, 2018 Rigging Rails for Raft Frames Jun 30, 2018
- May 29, 2018 Hog Island - One River Many Voices Project May 29, 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018